Month for Loki, Day 29: Schism
Well, here we are, almost the end of July.
There were some posts that I’d meant to write that I never gotten around to actually finish writing much less posting, such as
* That much promised post on polyamory and jealousy that I’d left and come back to so often that its length has grown to over a dozen handwritten pages in my notebook. The other day, I joked with a friend that if I ever cut it down enough to post it in its entirety, I’m still going to title it TL;DR
* A post concerning reluctance, runes, and shadow work.
*A requested follow-up concerning devotional tattoos.
As well, there were posts that I finished writing but I could not bring myself to post for various reasons. These still sit in a digital folder on the hard drive, concerning:
* A particular example of how I often get pushed out of my comfort zones. This was also by request.
* A personal background post about a spiritual re- connection that I’d made in April 2008 that followed the near-death experience of a family member.
* A poem of heiti and slippery metaphors.
One could say that I didn’t intend to post about this, but when I consider the particular requests and topics with which I’d begun the month, this topic is cake* in comparison.
What I’m about to write about is loads more pleasant and easier to discuss that some of the other requests.
Speaking of requests, I have started working on a series of drawings which are intended preparation for a much bigger project.
I love to draw, and I have been getting a lot of sketching practice, mostly with charcoals, pencil, and ink.
I was content to just keep on with the pencil sketches. Patterns started developing with my sketching, and I even started putting aside the sketches that I was more than slightly pleased with to post on my DeviantArt account.
As you may have read in one of my earlier blog posts this month, I’ve long had a preference for drawing Loki. About a year ago, this began to extend towards drawing His family too – I started drawing Angrboda, Hela, Fenrir, Sigyn, and Sleipnir. Some of my better drawings of these can be seen on my DA account.
But then I started noticing some synchronicity in what was coming up whenever I was working on new face and body studies to draw.
I’m a pretty avid people-watcher, and I started seeing a lot of ‘odd couplings’ during my walks:
– I’ve had several sightings of a pair of construction workers – a much older man with a longish greying beard and a middle-aged redhead – working at the ever-increasing construction site that has sprung up two blocks from my home. (With the extension being added to an existing hospital, and a huge new entertainment complex being built all within a mile of my house, you can imagine that I may see a lot of construction workers, but still…)
– A large grey-black fluffy wolf-like dog being pursued by several children (which reminded me of this)
(above comic created by JellyVampire on DeviantArt.)
– A tall man walking along the sidewalk, who stopped me, and asked to pet my dog. He had the most interesting light brown eyes that I’d ever seen. His eyes appeared to be almost gold.
And then the dream-visual related to this song:
…which got me to thinking about Odin and Loki catching sight of each other on the huge plain at Vigrid where Ragnarok will be fought…
And I have been visualizing that scene every time I hear Schism ever since
And for some reason, this project, this vision is growing into more than a sketch.
Perhaps it will become a painting.
Not that I am well-versed in painting, but I’ll let you know how it goes.